Monday, April 19, 2010

My Day with Sevan Photography:)

I was lucky enough to score a bit of time with Shannon Evans from Sevan Photography , for whom we are planning an amazing launch party this summer! Sevan is waaaaay established already but they are about to take a very artistic and unique approach to 'presenting' their work to clients. I cannot WAIT to post about what they are doing, after the party. Yum!
 Anyhoo----we met up to discuss her event, and I ended up whipping out a bunch of questions and basically turning it into an interview. Don't ya love me?! lol. (Scroll down for the interview.)

Oh, and looky here, I did a little 'editing' of my own to a nice shot of Shannon:

 

Sugar: Where did you study photography? 
Shannon:  I took a black and white film class when I was studying journalism at Howard University. 

Sugar:What did you do to gain so much knowledge in this area?
Shannon: I read a lot and I'm constantly looking at photographs to figure out what I like and what I don't like and the reasons why. 

Sugar: When did you become interested in photography?  
Shannon: Since I was young, I've always had a camera. When I look at old photographs that I've taken, I always had a style that's similar to the way that I shoot now. I just never made the connection when I was younger. I thought it was something that everyone did.

Sugar: When did your career start? 
Shannon: I've been shooting for a few years, but I finally had the courage to quit my full time job in March of 2009. 
 
Sugar: Why is Photography important to you?
Shannon: Photography is my life. I look at the world completely differently now. I know that doesn't really answer why it's important, but it's such a huge part of me that I can't imagine life without it. It's like asking, "Why is your arm important?" Ya know?
Sugar: Who or what influenced you to become a photographer? 
Shannon: There honestly wasn't a who or what that influenced me initially. It was one of those things that clicked in class. I just nonchalantly said I was going to do photography one day and I've been blessed enough to do it. However, one of my inspirations is Gordon Parks. Not just because he was a kick ass photographer, but because he allowed his creativity to stretch across so many different mediums. He simply lived to create

Sugar: Do you believe in the expression “A picture is worth 1,000 words”?  
Shannon: It's a very true expression, but the most beautiful part about it is that the "1,000 words" are usually different for everyone. 


Sugar: Do you have a favorite photograph?  
Shannon: I definitely don't have a favorite. My moods and interests change constantly and what I like at any given time usually reflects those things. It's the same way I feel about any art form. 

Sugar: Do you think that a person must possess talent to capture emotion and expression in a picture? 
Shannon: I think talent is important, but passion is more important. It also works if you have something in your mind that you want to say. The camera will have a way of capturing. The technical stuff can always be learned, but if you don't feel it in the depths of your soul, perfect lighting is useless. 

Sugar: Do you have a special style in your photographs that can single you out like strokes in a painting?  
Shannon: No, definitely not. I always try to tell a story, how I achieve that isn't always the same. There are probably some similarities to all the photographs that I've done, but I haven't made a mental note of them.



 Sugar: What makes a good photographer in your opinion? 
Shannon:  I think a good photographer loves what they do. They're passionate. 


Sugar: In your opinion, what makes photography an art?  
Shannon: Photography is art because it is an expression. Richard Pryor once said, "Art is the ability to tell the truth about oneself, even when it hurts." I think you can find a lot of that in photography. 




 Sugar: What motivates you to do what you do?   
Shannon: Being able to capture something in a way that no on else could motivates me. It's my voice. I've written all my life and photography is an extension of that. Sometimes I can't find the words, so being able to show it allows m to express my innermost thoughts. 



Yay!:)

1 comment:

  1. Great interview and based on Sevan's work her star is only going to shine brighter in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Hey loves! We appreciate any comments and feedback, it keeps us motivated! Just be nice:)

Our 2013 Catalog!